Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
With the school year over and summer season in full swing, June is one of the most popular times to take off on vacation. Though crowds may be growing in many destinations, June is a great time to travel. The weather is reaching peak summer sunshine (except in some parts where June Gloom is a thing, such as Southern California!) and there are lots of festivals and seasonal events happening around the globe.
From beautiful American beaches to the historic cities across Europe, here are ten amazing places to travel to in June.
1. Paris, France
Paris in the springtime. There’s a reason this is the most popular time of year to visit the City of Lights. While Paris is always a good idea, June is an especially great time to visit because the weather is warm, the gardens are in bloom and the crowds of the peak summer season won’t hit until July.
Sunny June days are ideal for sightseeing and taking in Paris’s most iconic sights. The Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triumph and all the city’s wonderful architecture are best enjoyed on clear days. Temperatures in France this time of year are in the mid-seventies, so the weather is perfect for walking outdoors.
This sale is valid until 6/4/2023.
The month of June is also packed with big events and music festivals, including Bastille Day, the Saint-Germain-des-Prés Jazz Festival, Taste of Paris Festival and the the French Open, so expect higher prices on hotels this time of year.
Fun Things to Do in Paris in June
- Have a picnic along the River Seine
- Take a food tour, bike tour or walking tour
- Celebrate the Summer Solstice with the free Fête de la Musique festival
- Take a day trip to Monet’s garden in Giverny
- Relax at Jardin des Tuileries
- Spend a day or two at Disneyland Paris
- Climb the Eiffel Tower
- Wander the palace and gardens at Versailles
2. Nantucket, Massachusetts
One of several popular New England coastal destinations, Nantucket is known for its upscale appeal and pricey hotels and beach rentals. Though it is located abut 30 miles south of Cape Cod and a fairly quick jaunt from Boston or New York City, a summer getaway to Nantucket will whisk you a world away.
Nantucket—with its picturesque small town vibe and sandy beaches—enjoys lots of sunshine and warm weather in June. There are lots of great restaurants and plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors at this east coast beach destination. You’ll also have a better chance of scoring a deal on accommodations in June verses July, when the big summertime crowds descend.
Fun Things to Do in Nantucket in June
- Spend time on Nantucket’s beautiful beaches
- Take a walk at the Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge
- Visit Great Point Lighthouse
- Visit the Nantucket Whaling Museum
- Get out on the water on a sailing or fishing excursion
- Visit the Nantucket Aquarium
- Play golf at the Miacomet Golf Club
3. Portland, Oregon
Portland is one of the best places to travel in June, especially for adventurists who love outdoor activities.
The weather is ideal in June, since the summer months are Portland’s dry season and there is a lower chance of rain. Overall, temperatures are in the 70s.
June is a great time to enjoy Portland’s many natural wonders. May marks the end of the rainy season, so the waterfalls are raging and amazing to visit! Hike to one of the numerous waterfalls along the Historic Columbia River Highway in Portland, including the breathtaking Multnomah Falls. You can also enjoy many other outdoor attractions, such as the Portland Japanese Garden and wineries in the Willamette Valley.
June is also when the Portland Rose Festival takes place each year. This event features live music, a parade, a rose show and other fun activities. There are numerous music festivals happening in Portland during the month of June, as well.
Fun Things to Do in Portland in June
- Sample craft beers at one of the area’s breweries
- Hike to Multnomah Falls
- Visit the International Rose Test Garden
4. London, England
Another city in Europe great to visit in June is London. The early summer weather is gorgeous, and, even when it rains, the temperatures remain warm.
London in June features the Taste of London, a large food festival.
London is easy to get around via the Tube, and very walkable, too! We love taking the hop on hop off bus tour, as it showcases all the most popular landmarks in the city along with providing transportation.
Fun Things to Do in London in June
- Visit the Tower of London
- Walk across the Tower Bridge
- Explore the city on a hop on hop off tour
- Ride the London Eye
- See the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
- See a show at Shakespeare’s Globe Theater
- Visit one of the many wonderful museums in London
5. San Antonio, Texas
Although Texas can be one of the hottest places in the USA during the summertime, June is still a relatively nice time to visit weather-wise. With its world-famous San Antonio River Walk, San Antonio is one of the most popular cities for a Texas getaway.
Situated in south-central Texas, San Antonio is rich in culture and history. Must-see attractions include the Alamo and the famous San Antonio River Walk, packed with restaurants, shops and Insta-worthy bridges.
Fun Things to Do in San Antonio in June
- Take a riverboat cruise
- Visit the Alamo
- Walk and dine along the San Antonio River Walk
- Spend a day at SeaWorld San Antonio
- Experience thrills at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- See the Natural Bridge Caverns
With its stunning Alpine vistas and storybook European villages, Switzerland is bursting with charm. Though it is known for the Swiss Alps and its wonderful skiing, Switzerland is a beautiful country to visit after the snow melts away and the weather is warm. June is the perfect time of year to explore Switzerland. You’ll also find the country bursting with wildflowers in June!
There are many great destinations to visit in Switzerland, including Zurich, Geneva, Lucerne and Interlaken, one of Switzerland’s most popular summer resort towns. Dozens of trains, cable cars, chairlifts and ski lifts are running in the mountains of Switzerland in June, along with numerous hiking trails and other outdoor adventures.
Fun Things to Do in Switzerland in June
- Visit the Swiss National Museum in Zurich
- Take a hike in the Swiss Alps
- Ride the Titlis cable car at Lake Lucerne
- Wander around the charming small villages
- Go to Lake Geneva, Europe’s largest Alpine lake
- Visit the medieval town in Bern, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
7. Nashville, Tennessee
If live music is your thing, Nashville is a must-see destination in the USA. Aside from being the capital of country music, there are many fun things to do in Nashville and the weather is ideal in June to experience everything the city has to offer.
This iconic home of country music features trendy neighborhoods, amazing food and tons of options for enjoying live music and nightlife.
June is a great time to visit Music City! Summer weather is here, and you can expect daily average highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s.
Read More: 16 Fun Things to Do in Nashville with Kids
Fun Things to Do in Nashville in June
- See a concert at the Grand Ole Opry
- Walk around the Nashville Zoo
- Visit the Gaylord Opryland Resort
- Visit the National Museum of African American Music
- Spend time outdoors at Cheekwood Estate & Garden
- Go to the Country Music Hall of Fame
- Check out the Hermitage, the plantation home of President Andrew Jackson
8. San Francisco, California
If California is a place you’d like to visit on your summer vacation, then San Francisco is a great city to check out. The weather is perfect for walking around the city by the Bay, with temperatures in the 70s and not too much rain or fog.
Head to San Francisco for iconic city experiences like riding a cable car and biking across the Golden Gate Bridge. Alcatraz Island—the infamous prison once housed Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly and the Birdman of Alcatraz—is a must-do excursion when visiting San Francisco. Today, it is run by the National Park Service and you can tour the old prison and the island’s grounds.
Read More: Fun Things to Do in San Francisco with Teens
Fun Things to Do in San Francisco in June
- Ride a cable car
- Take a harbor cruise
- Visit Alcatraz
- Dine and shop at Fisherman’s Wharf and Pier 39
- Take a day trip to one of the many wineries in nearby Napa Valley
- Walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Visit the Walt Disney Family Museum
- Take a walking tour of Chinatown
9. Amalfi Coast, Italy
The Amalfi Coast in Italy is truly a bucket list destination! June is a great time to visit, as the weather is nice enough to go boating and enjoy the beaches, but usually not too hot.
Stroll through the area’s many museums, historical sites and beautiful villages. Spend a day relaxing at one of the many beach clubs in Positano and along the Amalfi Coast.
Italy is a foodie’s dream destination! Everywhere you go you’ll find wonderful restaurants and cafes, many sporting gorgeous views.
Fun Things to on the Amalfi Coast in June
- Spend the day at a beach club
- Take a photo tour along the stunning Amalfi Coast
- Eat pizza, pasta and other Italian food
- Take a cooking class
- See the nearby ruins of Pompeii
- Take a ferry to the Island of Capri
- Go snorkeling off the coast
The summer months are the best time to experience all the wild, natural beauty of Alaska. Taking a cruise to Alaska is probably the easiest, most affordable and exciting way to go.
Alaskan cruises typically start in either Seattle or Vancouver, Canada. With the season lasting from May through September, June is a perfect time to go. There is an option for every budget.
Most cruise lines offer similar itineraries and lots of cruise lines offer pre-cruise or post-cruise tours or trips. Popular ports and destinations include Juneau, Glacier Bay National Park, Skagway, Ketchikan, Dawes Glacier, Seward and Icy Strait Point.
Read More: 15 Best Alaska Cruises for Families
Fun Things to Do in Alaska in June
- View the glaciers and rugged wilderness of Alaska
- Take a mountain biking, rock climbing or zip lining excursion
- Go salmon fishing
- Marvel at the glaciers in Glacier Bay National Park
- Sample spirits at the Alaska Distillery
- Experience Alaska on a dogsledding tour
- Take a train ride from Skagway on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad
- Go ocean rafting or kayaking