Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Lights Under Louisville
- Experience Christmas Lights In A New Way!
- About Louisville Mega Cavern’s Christmas Lights Show
- Unique Features Of The Louisville Mega Cavern’s Lights
- Pack Your Patience (and Popcorn) for this Christmas Lights Display
- 2021 Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Info to Know
- Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Discounts
- Final Thought On The Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Display
- Find Places to Stay Near Louisville, Kentucky
There is something special about piling into the car with family and taking in the beauty of the Christmas lights around your local neighborhoods. When you combine the convenience of checking out the lights from your car in an underground winter spectacular, the magic of Lights Under Louisville is born!
Lights Under Louisville
In Louisville, Kentucky, we are very fortunate to have a wide variety of activities to do, just like lots of other cities. But around the Christmas season, there is an attraction that my family makes a point to visit each and every year: Lights Under Louisville.
The themed displays are more than just decorated lights you are used to seeing on houses. They are full of full-on holiday season scenes made entirely of lights!
We load the family into our own vehicle and roll down the car windows to be able to hear the music as we drive through the Christmas display. There are thousands and thousands of lights set up taking you through various areas of the cavern.
Around each turn, there are different depictions of fairy tales and scenes with Santa and his elves to name just a couple.
Experience Christmas Lights In A New Way!
Lights Under Louisville is a very unique holiday light show and one of my very favorite activities to do with my family! It helps us kick off the season in a festive way. This holiday experience is an unusual winter wonderland experience because it is a completely underground holiday light show!
That’s right, it is miles of underground passageways that are lit up for the holiday season for a Christmas light show like none other!
About Louisville Mega Cavern’s Christmas Lights Show
The Louisville Mega Cavern is a holiday lights display like no other. There are two options to choose from: The Christmas Express and the Self Driving Lights Tour.
The Christmas Express is a an open air tram tour, and the Self Driving tour is done in your own vehicle.
The Louisville Mega Cavern’s “Lights Under Louisville” is a one of kind holiday experience. It’s a Christmas lights display positioned literally under the zoo and one of the major highways. It’s a 30-minute ride, under 17 miles of underground passages, making it an underground light display.
It has over 900 lit characters providing over 4,000,000 points of light! Now that’s a LOT of holiday spirit!
Unique Features Of The Louisville Mega Cavern’s Lights
While you are touring the facility for the Christmas Lights Show underground, there are signs that let you know what is right above you, which is really kind of cool. The entire cavern spans 17 miles; that is a huge territory! The cavern was and still is used for storage for a wide variety of things.
Year-round attractions there include MegaZips (underground ziplines), MegaQuest (a ropes course), MegaTram ( an educational tram tour) and an underground mountain biking course.
Pack Your Patience (and Popcorn) for this Christmas Lights Display
Here is the thing: the people of Louisville and the surrounding areas flock to this attraction. This means you and your kids are stuck waiting in your car or minivan in the holding parking lot just before the entrance to the cavern.
If your kids are older and more patient than mine, you will likely be just fine sitting and waiting. When my family goes, we always pack snacks and pop a bag of popcorn to have with us.
Ninety percent of the time, all of our snacks are gone by the time we go into the cavern. We have learned that your wait is not nearly as bad the earlier in the season that you go. Arriving just before opening helps as well.
But, you CAN purchase a Priority Pass to avoid the waiting in line. It has to be used on the day for which it is purchased.
2021 Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Info to Know
The 2021 dates for this event is from November 12, 2021 to January 2, 2022.
Pricing For Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights
- Tickets are priced by vehicle (yes, you can grab your friends and visit in style for one price!)
- A Standard Family Vehicle (including an SUV, truck or minivan) is $32.99.
- For a Full Size Van or multi person vehicle (like a van, limo, RV, small school bus), the ticket is $69.99.
- For a full size school bus, the ticket is $139.99 and a motor coach is $299.99.
- If you want to avoid the extensive wait times, you can purchase a Priority Pass for your standard vehicle at $59.99.
- Want to visit on the Christmas Express (the open air tram)? Tickets are $19.99 per person.
- Note that all purchasing is done online at the Lights Under Louisville website. You may be charged additional fees for credit cards.
The event runs from November 12, 2021 to January 2, 2022. Hours of operation include:
- Opening Day: 6pm to 10pm
- Daily Hours: 9:30am to 10pm
Visit the Lights Under Louisville website for a map for how to access this fun holiday adventure.
Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Discounts
There are a wide variety of discounts available for this event, making the price per carload even easier on your pocketbook. The Mega Cavern has been known to offer a Groupon as well as selling discounted tickets at the area Wendy’s.
Final Thought On The Louisville Mega Cavern Christmas Lights Display
This is a must-add to your holiday festivities. It will certainly get you into the holiday spirit and celebrate the holidays in a completely unique way.