Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
It’s often said that “everything is bigger in Texas,” and when it comes to family vacations, Texas definitely does it BIG. No matter your age, Texas packs unforgettable adventure, relaxation and fun for everyone in the family. From adrenaline-pumping water rides and slides to the classic cowboy dude ranch experience, even my super-picky 8-year-old son can’t find a reason to complain!
Whether you’re planning a group vacation, a babymoon or a staycation in the Lone Star State, we’ve got you covered with the best family resorts in Texas. Check out these resorts in and near the cities of Austin, Dallas, Galveston, Grapevine, New Braunfels, San Antonio and South Padre Island.
575 Hyatt Lost Pines Road
Cedar Creek, Texas 78612
Located near Austin, TX, this family-friendly resort along the Colorado River has exactly what it takes for a relaxing, yet fun getaway.
Together, families can spend the afternoon together horseback riding, fishing, trap shooting or bike riding along the 405 acres of beautiful grounds. The little ones in the family will love the waterpark with a lazy river and two-story waterslide. My son absolutely loves the fire pits where we can roast s’mores in the evenings. This has been a favorite family activity of his since he can remember!
Meanwhile, the adults in the family will enjoy the award-winning 18-hole golf course, spa and heated outdoor pools. After a busy day, the family can get together for Blue Bell ice cream and Starbucks Coffee at the Coffee Emporium & Ice Cream Saloon.
Why Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa is great for families:
- Bike rentals to explore the grounds together
- Pony rides for younger children
- Tomahawk and archery lessons for age 5 and up
- Waterpark with lazy river, kiddie pool and water pad
- Kids club/kids activities (unavailable until further notice)
- Family fishing
- Private cottage accommodating up to 8 guests and spacious family suites accommodating up to 6 guests
- Laundry facilities
1549 Legacy Drive
Frisco, Texas 75034
For a luxurious experience in Frisco, you’ll want to head to the Westin Dallas Stonebriar Golf Resort and Spa. This family resort in Texas offers 400 acres of fun and luxury.
For instance, if you want to take a dip, you can spend the day at the pool area complete with a water slide and splash pad. Want to get competitive? Check out the Activity Lawn with games for all ages. For video game lovers like my son, the Topgolf Swing Suite is a great way to get families practicing their swing in a virtual environment. If you want to relax, you can head over to the golf course, the spa, or to the 24-hour fitness studio.
With everything you need for the family in one place, this resort won’t disappoint.
Why Westin Dallas Stonebriar Resort is great for families:
- Kids club
- Activity lawn with games for family of all ages
- Pool with waterslide and splash pad
- Pet friendly
- TopGolf Swing Suite for family members of all ages to have a blast while virtually practice their swing
- Cribs/pack and plays available upon request
- Room service
5222 Seawall Boulevard
Galveston, Texas 77551
Located on Galveston Island among 32 miles of beaches and fun family attractions, The San Luis Resort, Spa and Conference Center offers fun both on and off the property.
On the resort grounds, you’ll find a luxurious pool with private cabanas, a fire pit and a number of delicious places for the family to fill their bellies. Outside of the resort, you and the family can explore the island at the Historic Pleasure Pier, massive waterpark, museum or on one of the beautiful beaches. And when you need some adult time, you can spend it at the spa, salon or doing some luxury shopping.
Why the San Luis Resort is great for families:
- Beachfront location with the ocean just steps away
- Near Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier with family-oriented attractions, rides, games and dining
- Located near the Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark with 16 year-round water attractions for the whole family
- Variety of dining options, including the family-friendly Rainforest Cafe
- Spacious multi-bedroom suites available with full kitchens and separate living/dining room
- Large penthouse family suite available with four bedrooms/bathrooms, in-room washer/dryer and bunk beds
Graham, Texas 76450
If a classic Texas-style dude ranch experience is what your family desires, you’ll want to round up the herd and head to the Wildcatter Ranch and Resort. Just 90 minutes from DFW International Airport, this family resort sits in the heart of North Texas Hill Country.
In addition to its upscale Western-style accommodations, there are plenty of outdoor activities. For example, the local Texas cowboy staff will guide you through fun activities such as horseback riding along the 25 miles of trails, tomahawk throwing and sport clay shooting, historic Jeep tours and archery lessons. And when you’re ready to relax, you can fill your belly with hand-cut mesquite grilled steak at the onsite steakhouse, unwind at the infinity pool or get a therapeutic massage at the spa.
Why Wildcatter Ranch and Resort is great for families:
- Group trail rides with pony rides available for guests ages 3-7
- Ranch-style sports such as clay shooting and tomahawk throwing for family members age 10 and up
- Cabins and classic hotel guest rooms available
- A staff of local cowboys for a full western experience
1501 Gaylord Trail
Grapevine, TX 76051
Situated on the shore of Lake Grapevine, the Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center is an incredible resort that certainly does NOT disappoint.
I’m talking about a 10-acre water park, a 25-foot zipline, 4.5 acres of indoor garden atriums (that I’m sure my mother would die for), award-winning restaurants and bars, a world-class spa and a state-of-the-art fitness center. If you’re looking for family-friendly team-building, you can head to the themed escape rooms.
LEGO fans like my son will love the fact that the resort is convenient to the LEGOLAND Discovery Center for those days you want to spend some time off property. And at the end of the day once you’ve worked up an appetite from all of the fun seasonal activities, you have several kid-friendly dining options to choose from.
Why the Gaylord Texan Resort is great for families
- Located near DFW airport and LEGOLAND Discovery Center
- Seasonal family-friendly events with a variety of themed activities and entertainment
- On-site waterpark with a family lagoon, water slides, lazy river and a designated toddler pool
- Private poolside cabanas with refrigerator, dining area and TV
- Kid-friendly restaurants onsite
- Themed escape rooms the whole family can enjoy
- Live entertainment and an award-winning nightclub for the adults to enjoy
100 Great Wolf Drive
Grapevine, TX 76051
If you haven’t yet visited one of the Great Wolf Lodge locations across the country, you’re missing out – and the Grapevine, Texas location is the perfect example of why.
Known to many as the ultimate family resort, Great Wolf Lodge has a massive indoor pool and waterpark with attractions that range from relaxing and tranquil to thrilling and heart-pumping. Additionally, there’s an onsite arcade, Build-a-Bear workshop, ropes course and arts and crafts for all ages to enjoy. Day passes are available, although there is no way you can enjoy it all in one day!
And when it comes time to call it a night, the youth-themed rooms with bunk beds are (in my son’s words) “so cool” and “perfect for sleepovers” when traveling with younger friends or siblings.
Why Great Wolf Lodge Grapevine is great for families:
- Waterpark activities for all ages
- Free kids events and waterpark passes included with overnight stay
- Day passes available with access to waterpark and activities
- Daily free and engaging family entertainment
- “Late night” dance party for the entire family
- Spacious suites with private bedrooms
- Themed suites with bunk beds, twin beds and sleeper sofas
- Numerous family-friendly restaurants and available dining plans
- Team-building and group activities for the family to bond together
200 Hi Circle N
Horseshoe Bay, TX 78657
Nestled directly on the shores of Lake LBJ, a stay at the Horseshoe Bay Resort is an excellent way to get the family together for a Texas vacation.
This scenic family resort in the Texas Hill Country packs both luxury and fun and is an incredible experience for visitors of all ages. Families can bond together riding bikes, learning to golf or play tennis, playing lawn games, roasting s’mores or relaxing by the pool. Additionally, you can learn about wildlife and exotic reptiles at the Birds of the Bay Show and Tortoise Connection.
There also are plenty of activities for adults such as wine tours, golf courses, spas and massages, state-of-the-art fitness centers and romantic waterfront dinners for that special date night.
Why Horseshoe Bay Resort is great for families:
- Various family-friendly activities and events
- Jungle Kids Club for kids12 and younger (toddlers must be potty trained); jungle gym, rock climbing wall and arts and crafts activities
- Tennis and golf camps for kids
- Located a short drive from both Austin and San Antonio
101 Lakeway Drive
Lakeway, Texas 78734
If you’re anything like me, you love a place with a view of the water and the Lakeway Resort and Spa has just that. Overlooking Lake Travis, this family resort has breathtaking views just about everywhere you go.
But it’s not just the views that make this resort a wonderful choice. It also packs plenty of recreational activities and water sports such as a family-friendly pool playground with a water slide and splash pad, swim-up bar, sailing, boating and fishing. Did I mention its proximity to championship golf courses and premier wine tours? Yep, this definitely makes it a winner on my list!
And when it’s time for dinner, you’ll be happy to find that there are restaurants onsite with all the kid favorites such as grilled cheese, hot dogs, spaghetti and my son’s personal must-have delicacy: PIZZA.
Why the Lakeway Resort and Spa is great for families:
- Kids pool with waterslide and splash pad
- Courtyard family pool with volleyball
- Adult pool with swim-up bar
- Spacious, modern rooms and suites equipped with refrigerator and free wifi
- Accessible rooms and amenities
- Onsite restaurants with designated kids menus
305 W Austin Street
New Braunfels, TX 78130
Located within historic New Braunfels, the Resort at Schlitterbahn lies on the banks of the Comal River and is just a five-minute drive from the hottest music, art and food scene in the area.
Featuring a massive waterpark, playgrounds and an arcade, this resort is a dream come true for my son. The waterpark is certainly the highlight with 51 different natural spring water-powered rides, slides and chutes. Aside from the water activities, the seven unique types of accommodations surely fit all family tastes and needs, whether it’s a classic hotel, suite, loft, condo, cabin, lodge or vacation home.
As a severe food allergy family, both my son and I can also appreciate the fact that the resort is very mindful of dietary restrictions. For instance, it offers complete food ingredient lists on the website and, when requested, at the resort.
Why the Resort at Schlitterbahn is great for families:
- Kids water activity play areas and waterpark with wave pool, water slides, heated pools and swim-up bars for the adults
- Variety of rooms, lofts, condos and vacation rentals to choose from that accommodate up to 14 guests and include washer/dryer and full kitchens
- Amenities such as waterpark, swimming pool, playgrounds and arcade
- Various dining options with allergy-friendly options and well as options for all dietary restrictions
9800 Hyatt Resort Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78251
Located in San Antonio, this family resort is excellent for families of all ages and has something to fit all interests, whether you want to relax, play or explore.
Family members looking to get active will find a variety of outdoor activities including swimming, biking, sand volleyball, tennis and yoga. Meanwhile, nature lovers can explore the various nature trails with guided nature walks and wildlife feedings. But perhaps the best part according to my son is the 5-acre waterpark. This shaded oasis comes equipped with multiple pools, a two-story water slide, lazy river and a water slide where he can test his surfing skills.
Adults can unwind at the on-site spa, get fit at the fitness center, or spend a relaxing day at the golf course. And when you want to get off of the resort for some fun, you’ll find SeaWorld next door, Six Flags Fiesta just 15 minutes away and the popular San Antonio Riverwalk just 20 minutes away.
Why the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa is great for families:
- 5-acre water park with a lazy river and zero-entry kiddie pool
- On-site playground and arcade
- Weekly family-friendly activities and events
- Large, family-friendly suites with private patios and balconies
- Free internet access
- Located next to SeaWorld San Antonio and just 15 miles from Six Flags
- 20 minutes away from the San Antonio Riverwalk
23808 Resort Parkway
San Antonio, Texas 78261
For families looking for a mix of luxury and family fun in Texas Hill Country, this family resort hits the mark. With 600 acres of breathtaking landscape, this resort has it all, including running and walking trails, a 9-acre water park with a 1,200-foot lazy river, 650-foot action river ride, a thrilling body plunge slide and a sand beach pool.
Family members of all ages can also participate in activities such as the Zoomagination Wild Animal Experience, Build Your Own Butterfly House and making s’mores. My hands-on son absolutely LOVES the fact that there’s also a Slime Factory where he can mix up his own squishy, slimy goo (that I’m willing to bet will end up somewhere it shouldn’t).
Outside of the resort also packs popular activities for the entire family including SeaWorld, Six Flags Fiesta, the Natural Bridge Caverns, the Shops at La Cantera, and my personal favorite– Texas wineries!
Why the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort is great for families:
- Nine-acre waterpark with 1,200-foot lazy river, sand beach pool and activity pool for non-swimmers
- Children’s pool with zero depth beach entry
- “Kids Night Out” for ages 4-12 (currently unavailable)
- Classic “jumbo-sized” games such as Jenga and Connect 4 (currently unavailable)
- Private cabana rentals
- 18-hole golf course with private lessons available
- Convenient to other family attractions such as SeaWorld and Six Flags Fiesta
16641 La Cantera Parkway
San Antonio, Texas 78256
Just a short 20-minute drive from the San Antonio International Airport, this luxurious family resort was voted the #1 resort in Texas and the #3 resort in the Southwest by the Conde Nast Reader’s Choice Awards in 2021.
In addition to meeting all my requirements with heated pools, luxurious poolside cabanas, destination spa and a state-of-the-art fitness center, this resort also checks off the important items on my son’s list with an onsite arcade and s’more roasting at sunset. There also are two world-class golf courses, family movie nights and a Naturalist Program to learn about the local flora and fauna.
Want to get off the resort for a bit? There’s a complimentary resort shuttle to take you to all of the nearby attractions within a 3-mile radius.
Here’s why La Cantera Resort is great for families:
- Within a mile of Six Flags Fiesta and just a 20 minute drive to SeaWorld
- Proximity to Texas wineries
- 20 minutes from the airport with airport shuttle
- Kids pools and splash areas
- Private kids pool cabana rentals
- Kids club and programs for ages 4-12
- Family movie night and s’mores
- Weekend arts and crafts activities
- Spacious family-friendly suites with mini fridges and balconies available
500 Padre Boulevard
South Padre Island, Texas
If you’re looking for a beachfront getaway with the kiddos this summer, the Isla Grand Beach Resort is an excellent choice.
Located on South Padre Island, this resort has tons for adults and kids alike to enjoy including two swimming pools, tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, horseback riding, water games, movies and arts and crafts. Want some action and adventure? Spend the day with the family at the Beach Park or Gravity Park. My son and I both love that we can bond together while learning to build the ultimate sandcastle with professional sandcastle lessons.
There’s also plenty for the adults to do without the kids, including enjoying a game of golf, relaxing at the poolside bar or dancing the night away at the onsite nightclub.
Why Isla Grand Beach Resort is great for families:
- Located on the beach
- Family value package available
- Two-bedroom condos with full-kitchens available
- Numerous onsite dining options and an onsite coffee shop
- Seasonal kids activities and events
- Gift shop for finding the perfect souvenir
2301 N Millbend Drive
The Woodlands, Texas 77380
Named one of the Top 10 Resorts in Texas on Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best list, the Woodlands Resort is a place where both kids and adults can play.
Located just 30 miles outside of Houston on the 200-acre Lake Woodland, this ultimate family resort has activities that everyone can enjoy together such as hiking, biking, bowling, laser tag, karaoke, kayaking and water sports. There’s also a year-round water park with a lazy river and activities such as an underwater treasure hunt. My son is thrilled about the fact that he can watch a movie AND swim at the “dive-in” movie theater.
Meanwhile, the adults can pass the time relaxing on the golf course or at the spa, or can get in on the fun with Thirsty Thursday Trivia, Bingo Night or cocktail mixology classes. When it comes to the ultimate family vacation for my son and I, the Woodlands Resort is our kind of place!
Why the Woodlands Resort is great for families:
- Resort shuttle to nearby attractions
- More than 200 miles of nature trails and more than 100 parks for children to play
- Spray grounds for younger guests
- Children’s Museum
- Family-friendly events and activities
- Rentable bikes
- Dog friendly resort, with nearby dog parks
- Convenient to several nearby attractions including downtown Houston, Lake Conroe, Market Street and the Woodlands Town Center and Mall
- In-room dining
Terlingua, TX 79852
Located between Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park lies this 27,000-acre Old West-style resort. Famous for its rugged desert environment, it is more than just the #1 golf course in Texas. It also packs a number of fun activities for the whole family.
The adventurous members of the family will love the zipline tours, shooting courses, mountain biking and river expeditions. However, the laid-back members of the family will enjoy the sparkling swimming pools, hiking trails, onsite theater and horseback trail rides. To avoid dealing with hangry little ones, arrange with the general store to have boxed lunches ready as soon as you return from your daily adventures.
At this resort, the last thing you’ll hear is “Mom, I’m bored!” That alone makes this family resort in Texas a winner for me!
Why Lajitas Golf Resort is great for families:
- Sunrise and sunset trail horseback rides for ages 7 and up
- Zip line tours for ages 9 and up
- Spacious rooms, suites, condos and villas accommodate up to 8 guests
- Accommodations with full kitchen and washer and dryer available
- Pet-friendly accommodations available
- Car rentals available to explore the area with the family
- Onsite general stores for all your necessities, including boxed lunches available for preorder
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the best time of year to visit these family resorts in Texas?
A: It really depends on what kind of weather and activities you prefer. Generally, spring and fall are the most pleasant seasons in Texas, with mild temperatures and fewer crowds. However, if you want to enjoy water parks and swimming pools, summer is the best time to visit. Just be prepared for high temperatures and humidity. Winter can also be a good time to visit, especially if you want to see holiday lights and decorations.
Q: Are these family resorts affordable?
A: Again, it depends on your budget and preferences. Some of the resorts on this list are more luxurious and expensive, while others are more budget-friendly. However, most of them offer packages and deals that can help you save money. It’s also worth checking out travel websites like Expedia, Orbitz, and Priceline for discounts and promotions.
Q: Do these family resorts offer activities for kids and adults?
A: Yes, all of these resorts have a variety of activities and amenities that cater to both kids and adults. Some examples include water parks, pools, spas, golf courses, horseback riding, hiking trails, and kids’ clubs. Be sure to check each resort’s website or call ahead to confirm what is available.
Q: Can I bring my pet to these family resorts?
A: It depends on the resort’s pet policy. Some of the resorts on this list allow pets, while others do not. If you want to bring your furry friend along, be sure to check the resort’s website or call ahead to confirm their policy and any additional fees.
Q: Do these family resorts offer transportation to nearby attractions?
A: Again, it depends on the resort. Some of the resorts on this list offer shuttle services to nearby attractions, while others do not. If you plan to explore the surrounding area, it’s a good idea to rent a car or use a ride-sharing service like Uber or Lyft.
Have a family-favorite resort in Texas to add to this list? Share with us in the comments!
Looking for more family fun in the Lone Star state? Check out these other SheBuysTravel experiences to help you plan your next family vacation:
- The Ultimate Guide to Texas Vacations for Families
- 15+ Great Texas Road Trips for Families
- 7 Best Places to Get Your Feet Wet in Texas
Kimberly Miles is a mother of one and an experienced solo and single mom traveler. So far, she has traveled to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Dubai, Bahamas, Aruba, Mexico, and several places in the U.S. Kimberly was born and raised in Alexandria, Virginia, but in 2018 she took a leap of faith and made the beautiful beach town of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico her home with her young son.
In addition to writing for SheBuysTravel, Kimberly ghostwrites blogs on a variety of topics. She also provides marketing consulting services and business guidance to entrepreneurs, small businesses, and corporations via her independent business KNM Virtual Solutions.
When she’s not traveling or writing, you can find Kimberly working out, eating tacos, dancing the night away, or spending time at the beach with her son. You can read more of her work at Travel Unapologetically.