Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
The writer was hosted.
JW Marriott San Antonio Resort & Spa is the place to experience all the elegance and class of a high-end resort with plenty of things to do so you never have to leave the property. But you might want to; this Texas destination is only 30 minutes up the highway from the iconic San Antonio Riverwalk.
Boasting a view of the Hill Country, plus a spa, water park and world-class golf club, this resort will knock your socks off for a dreamy Lone Star State getaway.
Whether you’re looking for a place to go with your girlfriends for a much-needed break or a family-friendly resort that appeals to multiple generations, this is a spot you won’t forget.
I stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort with my family for the weekend and found more fun than we could pack into a weekend.
Here are a few things to know about this gorgeous resort before booking your stay.
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Highlights
- Starting at the entrance and continuing with a friendly check-in staff, the experience is deluxe. Waterfalls and lush greenery lead through 600 acres around the property.
- The resort is famous for its nine-acre water park, so get ready to jump on the giant twisty slide for a quick thrill or relax in the lazy river on a sunny day, which is something San Antonio has in abundance.
- Self-parking and valet parking are available, and if you want to visit other sites around San Antonio, you’ll want to bring or rent a car to get there.
- The TPC San Antonio golf course, dreamed up by the formidable team of designer Pete Dye and legendary player Greg “The Shark” Norman, has two 18-hole championship golf courses accessible to resort guests.
- Kids Night Out program allows parents to enjoy grown-up time while the children (age 4-12) are engaged in activities and games with staff.
- Complimentary s’mores kits for guests
- Full service Starbucks in the hotel
- Tennis courts, pickle ball, and a basketball court keep active families happy.
- Slime factory, jumbo backyard games and multiple billiards and ping-pong tables dot the property.
- Spacious rooms and luxury suites offer accommodation options for couples or big families.
- Multiple dining options onsite
- On-site spa and fitness center
- Pets are not allowed at this resort; service animals are the exception.
The JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa has 1,002 guest rooms, including 85 gorgeous suites, many with spacious patios. Sprawled out over 600 acres of tree-lined Texas land, the resort feels like a world away from the big city of San Antonio and its busy airport.
Texas Hill Country is one of the most beautiful spots in the state, if not the country, and the weather is very hot in the summer but mild in the spring, fall, and winter. You won’t have to go far to find wineries, local rodeos, convention centers and incredible food along with world-class attractions like Natural Bridge Caverns, Six Flags and Sea World.
Stocked with just about everything you can think of, including seven restaurants, big guest rooms with flat-screen TVs, a game room, lazy river, waterpark, sports bar, steam room and relaxing spa, the JW Mariott San Antonio Hill Country Resort has all the ingredients for a spectacular vacation.
Each of the resort’s 1,002 guest rooms includes business-friendly amenities like high-speed internet access and comfortable workstations. Plus, there’s plush bedding, a mini-fridge, an in-room safe, coffee machine and separate shower and bathtub.
If you’re looking for more space and additional amenities, take a look at one of the 85 suites at the resort. Ranging from nearly 900 to more than 2,000 square feet, they include niceties like large sitting areas, kitchenettes with full-size refrigerators, fireplaces and comfy sofas. Each one boasts views of the waterslides, golf course, poolside and the expansive grounds.
Dining at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa
Starting with breakfast, stop in at the Starbucks to get the day started with coffee and some egg bites or oatmeal or graze the sumptuous breakfast buffet at Cibolo Moon.
We opted for room service in our suite, dining at the eight-person table in the suite. Our server rolled up with a cart full of omelets, bacon, yogurt, fruit and toast. Afterward, I took my tea on the balcony.
For brunch, I have four important words for you: corn flake French toast. Yum.
Poolside, the Rivertop Grill serves up refreshing specialty cocktails like margaritas and frozen daquiris to sip while noshing on hamburgers, sandwiches, and salads.
The resort’s upscale 18 Oaks restaurant is open for a country club-style lunch (salads, sandwiches, wings, etc).
Inside the Lantana Spa, the Replenish Spa Bistro offers wholesome avocado toasts and yummy smoothies (banana strawberry is delicious!), which hits the spot after a facial or massage.
On casual nights, High Velocity is the place to catch a game on its 120-foot-long HD video walls while nibbling sticky ribs or Mahi tacos and capping off the night with (warm!) chocolate chip cookies.
If you’re ready to dress up and be treated to a fabulous fancy dinner, return to 18 Oaks for entrees like Niman Ranch steaks and lobster or find your way to the side dishes where you’ll find duck-fat Brussels sprouts with chile de arbol aioli and truffle cream corn, among other choices for vegetarians.
Personally, I can’t resist the jalapeno cheddar gristmill grits.
At the JW Marriott San Antonio, there’s so much to do on site that you don’t really have to leave if you don’t want to.
While there is plenty of room to roam, it’s laid out so well it feels cozy in each section. For instance, the landscaping and flow of the pool area is relaxing and meditative. The golf courses are incredibly well-maintained and are a must-see whether or not you play.
And the full spa offers up a variety of services like body scrubs and massage.
The daily resort fee fluctuates depending on the season and includes Wi-Fi, welcome drinks, entry wristbands to the water park, spa and fitness centers, and some discounts.
- Golf: Play on one of two official TPC courses
- Play in the water: Frolic in the River Bluff Water Experience area, ascend the tower and ride down on a tube or plunge down the body slide at speeds up to 20 miles per hour. There are pools for kids and others just for adults, so pick your favorite before or after a float down the lazy river. When the sun goes down, convene at the hot tub.
- Relax: Rent a private cabana in the pool area for VIP service including your own refrigerator and safe to keep your belongings. Or book a spa service at Lantana Spa to really bliss out.
- Get sporty: The 24-hour fitness center is stocked with various cardio machines and weights, nearby walking and running trails wind along the San Antonio Hill Country, or play tennis, basketball, or pickleball at the courts. We loved the Topgolf Swing Suite for virtual practice at High Velocity.
Things to Do Near JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort
Girls’ weekends might warrant a stop at one of Texas’ finest wineries and shopping at the nearby premium outlets. Families may want to visit one of the theme parks like Six Flags amusement park, Sea World and its Aquatica waterpark.
For a real taste of what San Antonio has to offer culturally, make a loop from the San Antonio Riverwalk to the Cathedral of San Fernando to the Spanish Governor’s Mansion (built in the 18th century) to the market.
Don’t forget to pick up a bottle of authentic Mexican vanilla and a few trinkets. And, of course, you’ll want to see the Alamo before you leave.
- Before you hit the town, do not miss brunch at La Panaderia at one of its three locations (Alamo Heights, downtown, or La Cantera Heights). As soon as you walk in the door, the aroma of freshly baked goodies like conchas, empanadas, and giant bear claws studded with nuts. The French toast is divine and my husband tried a torta, which is a Mexican sandwich. You’re going to want to get some treats to go, believe me.
- One great way to see the city from the Riverwalk is aboard a riverboat cruise, during which a guide explains the architecture and history of the area. At 40 minutes, it’s just the right length and the open boats are delightful. Don’t forget to tip your captain if you go.
- After the boat tour, I highly recommend lunch at Boudro’s on the Riverwalk. We started with the best prickly pear margarita I’ve ever had, followed by tableside guacamole made with fire-roasted tomatoes (we sopped up every bite) and a wood-grilled ribeye sandwich. My husband couldn’t resist the homemade lime chess pie with a butter pecan cookie crust.
- To learn more about the history of Texas, including the people, animals, and geology of the state, don’t miss the Witte Museum. Established in 1926, the Witte is beautifully designed and has exhibits that kids and adults of all ages will enjoy. You’ll find real dinosaur bones and casts of prehistoric footprints as well as Texas-themed art and historic artifacts.
- Make a stop at the Pearl district for unique shops, micheladas and sodas in the park, and fun restaurants. We had dinner at La Gloria, which specializes in street foods of interior Mexico. My family shared a variety of tacos and enchiladas, punctuated by light, fresh chips and salsa; my husband sipped on a delicious margarita on the rocks rimmed with salt.
- Want a little spooky supernatural experience during your San Antonio visit? Check out the ghost walk tours and learn more about which spirits haunt the city.
Final Thoughts on JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa
The JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa was even better than I expected it to be. Among the San Antonio hotel scene, it includes the best of all worlds because it’s outside the city a bit but close enough to enjoy what you want.
I can’t say enough good things about the rooms, which are impeccably clean and well stocked. If you’ve been to some of the Disney resorts in Florida, you’ll find that level of care and features at the JW in San Antonio. We appreciated the variety of restaurants and activities. It’s easy to be as busy or as chill as you like for a weekend or longer.
While the resort is certainly well equipped for families with activity choices that rival an amusement park, it’s just as lovely for a girls’ weekend away.
The Lantana Spa is quiet and peaceful and the adults-only pool means you can read a book without getting splashed. Because sometimes, diving into a book and losing track of time is exactly what you need. The JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort offers all of that.