The writer was hosted.
Your next Caribbean vacation doesn’t have to revolve around pools and beach time — it can be so much more. Sandos Caracol Eco Resort All Inclusive is a Riviera Maya experience the whole family will love, with coatis and spider monkeys, mangroves and Mayan ruins and a water park and white sand beach.
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort Overview
Sandos Caracol is a huge all-inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen, in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. From the moment you stroll into the open-air lobby and see a sparkling green cenote beyond, you’ll know you’ve found someplace special. Tucked in a jungle of palms and tropical flowers with a river running through a mangrove forest, this resort offers nature experiences from native tree planting to animal tending. And when not enjoying scheduled activities, you can hit the water slides or relax by the Caribbean Sea.
Here are some highlights of the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort:
- Water park with 29 slides.
- Eco activities from kayaking in the Caribbean Sea to snorkeling in the Jade River.
- Kids Club for ages 4 to 12, with an indoor playground and children’s pool.
- Teen activities for ages 13 to 17, such as table tennis and beach soccer.
- Two outdoor pools, plus a Select Club adult-only pool and jacuzzi.
- Cenote with naturally chilled water for swimming and snorkeling.
- Walking trails through the mangrove forest, to see wildlife and Mayan ruins.
- Bikes you can borrow to explore along the resort’s bike path.
- Boogie boards you can borrow from the dive shop on the beach.
- Tennis courts, beach volleyball and scheduled fitness activities like Zumba.
- Evening shows at an outdoor theatre.
- Vendors who sell handmade goods, so you can support locals without leaving the resort.
- Sandos Foundation donation bins, where you can donate clothing, shoes, toys and school supplies to support the local community.
As an all-inclusive resort, Sandos Caracol makes vacationing easy. Your food, drinks, activities and even tips are included in the price of your room.
Sandos Caracol’s all-inclusive plan includes:
- Unlimited food and beverages at eight restaurants — six of them specialty restaurants for à la carte dinners — and 24-hour room service for in-room dining.
- Alcoholic beverages for guests age 18+ from eight bars, including a swim-up bar at the main pool.
- Free wifi in your room and in public areas throughout the resort.
- Water sports like kayaking and snorkeling, and a scuba diving lesson.
- Scheduled activities, including beach and pool games.
- Bike rental for the bike path around the resort.
- Tennis court rental, with use of rackets and balls included.
- Kids Club, open 8 hours daily.
- Fitness center for 18+.
- Outdoor evening shows for all ages, including a traditional Mayan fire ceremony.
Experiences you can pay extra for include:
- Sacred fire dinner with fire show on Saturday nights at 7:30 p.m.
- Spa for treatments and hydrotherapy that includes a sauna, steam room and pool.
- Beauty salon, Temazcal, for guests age 18+.
- Romantic dinners on the beach.
- Golf at an 18-hold course next to the hotel.
- Babysitting and laundry services.
Rooms and Suites at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort has 955 guestrooms in three areas: Family, Select Club Adults Only and Royal Elite. All rooms have air conditioning, wifi, a 5-gallon water dispenser and a mini bar that is restocked daily.
Family. This section has standard rooms with a balcony or terrace. Coatis may visit you on your balcony, especially if you have a jungle-view room. The Signature Eco Collection in the Family section has superior, suite and penthouse rooms that have been completely renovated.
Select Club Adults Only. This section for guests age 18+ has superior, deluxe and penthouse rooms. By staying here, you gain access to the Select Club Adults Only Ocean Front Club House with a concierge, showers, premium bar and pool table. It leads to the adults-only beach area with hammocks, lounge chairs and Bali beds.
Royal Elite. Anyone can book these rooms for an elevated experience, not only Royal Elite Vacation Club members. Royal Elite guests over 18 years old can also enjoy all Select Club Adults Only facilities, such as the pool, clubhouse and reserved beach area.
Dining at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
At Sandos Caracol, you’ll eat a buffet breakfast and lunch, or get room service. But for dinner, you have lots of options.
Breakfast and lunch
- La Laguna — international buffet.
- La Toscana — Italian buffet.
- Las Máscaras — Mexican buffet
- La Riviera — Mediterranean, à la carte.
- Fogo do Brazil — Brazilian Rodizio à la carte.
- El Templo — Japanese Teppanyaki experience.
- Los Lirios — Steakhouse and fish à la carte.
- La Toscana — Italian à la carte.
What To Pack for Sandos Caracol Eco Resort All Inclusive
- Reef-safe sunscreen, for swimming in the cenote and ocean.
- Refillable water bottle, to hydrate using the 5-gallon water jug in your room.
- Snorkel gear, so you don’t have to worry about the rental time restrictions.
- Water shoes to protect your feet from rocks on the ocean floor.
- School supplies to put in the Sandos Foundation donation bin for rural communities.
Day Trip to Sandos Playacar
As a guest of Sandos Caracol, you can also spend the day at Sandos Playacar, a sister property about 15 minutes away. From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., feel free to check out everything Playacar has to offer, no reservation necessary. You’ll just need to arrange transportation there and back, which can be done through Seek and Go in the resort lobby. You can’t dine at Playacar’s à la carte restaurants on a day pass, so make plans to be back at Sandos Caracol for dinner.
The Bottom Line
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort is a great choice for adventure-loving families looking to explore nature in Mexico’s Riviera Maya. See spider monkeys, hike in the jungle, swim in a mangrove forest river and visit Mayan ruins — all without leaving the resort.
Caracol is about 45 minutes from Cancun, but you’ll need to arrange your own transportation from Cancun international airport. Once at the resort, you can relax and indulge in an all-inclusive experience.
Download the Sandos Stay app to check in online up to seven days before arrival. You’ll also gain easy access to a resort map and schedules for pools, restaurants and activities. To ask questions of current and past Sandos Caracol guests, join one of the Facebook groups for avid fans of the resort.