If you haven’t been to California’s Disneyland in awhile you may not have seen Avengers Campus Disneyland yet. We’ve got all the tips you need to maximize your Avengers experience including what rides there are, what to eat, and few secrets to make your visit to this Marvel cinematic universe themed land even more magical.
The writer was hosted at a media preview of the Avengers Campus Disneyland and has visited since on her own.
Avengers Campus Disneyland Resort: The Backstory
This new land with a Marvel twist has a fun back story: Iron Man (Tony Stark) developed Avengers Campus as a place for regular folks to train alongside super heroes.
As a result, Avengers Campus is an ultra immersive experience which is reflected in everything from rides to character experiences. Due to this expect a visit to Avengers Campus to include heroic encounters with Captain America and Black Widow. Spot the Quinjet on the rooftop of Avengers headquarters, where epic live battles take place. By the end, chances are you’ll feel like a super hero yourself!
SheBuysTravel Tip: If you haven’t been to Disneyland since it reopened be sure to familiarize yourself with changes like park reservations, advance ticket sales, and of course the new Magic Key program.
Where is Avengers Campus located?
The Disneyland Resort is made up of two theme parks and three on-property Disneyland Resort hotels. Avengers Campus is located within the Disney California Adventure park.
Avengers Campus is a 6-acre Marvel-themed space with rides, extraordinary character interactions, unique dining and lots of photo ops. It is located in the former “a bug’s land” space. There are three access points to get into Avengers Campus – main entrance across from Golden Vines Winery, walkway through Cars Land and entry at the end of Hollywood Land.
Inside of Avengers Campus Disneyland you can ride rides, taste food, and explore the Ancient Sanctum. Disney Imagineering really knocked it out of the park on this. Similar to Pandora at Animal Kingdom the experience is different depending on time of day. Visiting the Sanctum after dark and you might get a special glimpse at the Orb’s magical energy.
More Avengers Campus locations are planned.
At this point the Avengers Campus in Anaheim is the only one, but not for long. Progress photos of construction at Disneyland Paris were shared at the D23 expo. The Avengers Campus opening at Disneyland Paris is expected to happen in summer 2022. After that Hong Kong Disneyland will open a new Avengers Campus in 2023.
Marvel Characters at Disneyland
It wouldn’t be a Disney theme park without character meet ‘n greets. And while socially distanced greetings are the current norm, Avengers Campus does a great job of allowing guests to see their favorite super heroes from Marvel comic books and popular movies.
Some of the Avengers Campus character appearances and live entertainment have specific show times. Several of these events do not occur after dark. Locations and times can be searched daily in the Disneyland app. Here’s where to find Marvel characters at Disneyland:
- Watch for Spider-Man as he swings from rooftops and chats with guests. This character greeting is a combination of live actor and animatronic. The animatronic version that flies over the roof top is next level!
- Thor and Black Widow can often be spotted at the top of Avengers Headquarters.
- Ant-Man and Iron Man pose with guests at the base of the same building.
- Guests are encouraged to try out their hand at the mystic arts alongside Doctor Strange in the Ancient Sanctum. There is a fun mind-bending optical illusion that’s a must for Instagram-worthy photos!
- Black Panther and Captain America chat and stop for photos next to an Avengers vehicle.
- It’s not all just “good guys”. Guests can expect to see a few villains as well. Taskmaster battles it out on the rooftop of Avengers Headquarters. Loki, the newest Disney+ star, has been appearing in a variety of costumes within Avengers Campus.
Rides at Avengers Campus
Currently Avengers Campus Disneyland has two rides. A third ride is expected but the timeline isn’t very clear. There was concept art that was displayed and quickly taken down that showed the Quinjet E-ticket attraction having jetpack seats.
Join our Private Disney FB Group for more tips! JOIN HERE
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
This is Disney, so every attraction has a story. The WEB SLINGERS story is this: Worldwide Engineering Brigade (aka: WEB) is having an open house to showcase its newest inventions. Unfortunately, Peter Parker’s Spider-Bots are going haywire and threaten to take down Avengers Campus Disneyland.
That’s where you come in! This fun 3D ride turns riders into super heroes. This interactive ride, similar to Toy Story: Midway Mania, lets riders spin and throw webs just like Spider-Man, thanks to some innovative technology.
Guests simply move their hands and see their “webs” destroy Spider-Bots on the screens. Points are tracked and there are ways to score bonuses. My kids loved WEB SLINGERS of course, though they lamented that it was too short of a ride!
The attraction is extremely lively, with intense peril in the form of problematic Spider-Bots. Most kids will likely enjoy “flinging webs” from their hands to the screens. Be aware there is some spinning as the vehicles move and the volume inside is loud.
SheBuysTravel Tip: There is no height requirement for WEB SLINGERS, which means everyone in the family can join the fun. Families will sit four to a row within each ride vehicle.
How to Ride on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure Ride
When this ride opened a virtual queue was utilized just like at the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. At this time entry to the ride is by standby lane or by purchasing an Individual Lightning Lane entry, part of the new Genie+ program. However, Disneyland does say right on their site that “under certain circumstances access to WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure may temporarily require joining a virtual queue”. Definitely make sure you have the Disneyland app installed and are checking it regularly. Here are the virtual queue instructions should your visit require it.
How the Virtual Queue Works
- Download the Disneyland app to your smart phone. Make sure push notifications are on!
- Boarding group windows open each morning at 7 am and again at noon.
- The 7 am virtual queue is available only to people who have a valid park ticket with a Disney California Adventure starting park reservation. The noon queue is available to anyone who has a park hopper or DCA ticket that has been scanned into a park that day.
- Only one spot in the virtual queue can be held at a time. So you have to choose between WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure and Rise of the Resistance.
When it’s time for your boarding group to ride, you’ll receive a notice in the Disneyland app, so check your alerts frequently. You’ll need to show your credentials to enter.