Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
The Granite State is a year round playground for families. In the winter you can ski to your heart’s content (or snowshoe and tube). Use the summer to explore trails and hike past waterfalls. In the fall New Hampshire puts on a fall foliage show with technicolor leaves lining back roads in all regions. It’s always a good time to visit and I’m not just saying that as someone who grew up in NH. We’re sharing some of our favorite New Hampshire hotels and what we love about them. We hope your family loves them too!
Lakes Region New Hampshire Family Resorts
516 Steele Hill Rd
Sanbornton, NH 03269
If you’re looking for a quintessential family vacation destination where you can enjoy each other’s company without distractions, this is your spot. Steele Hill Resort is a destination where the resort is your “to do.” You’re not traveling to stay there and go elsewhere – you’re going to relax and have quality time. Located in Sanbornton, this resort covers 500 acres and offers both indoor and outdoor family fun. Things we love at this New Hampshire family resort are:
- 4 pools (2 indoor & 2 outdoor), whirlpools and saunas
- 9 hole golf course (FREE for guests)
- Free racquetball, ping pong and tennis courts
- Kids will love the playground, Playstation 4 consoles in the lobby and catch-and-release fishing
- Climb up for the view from the resort observation tower
Accommodations run the gamut from 2 person luxury hotel rooms for romantic getaways to suites that sleep 4-6 in one or two bedrooms to two-bedroom townhouses that can sleep up to 8. Most rooms have views of either the surrounding woods and mountains or of Lake Winnisquam and the Belknap Mountain Range.
76 Lake St
Laconia, NH 03246
Enjoy lake life at this resort on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee. Located on Paugus Bay, this New Hampshire family resort enjoys a 400-foot private sandy beach. You can try your hand at kayaking or paddle boarding (rentals available). Indoor and outdoor pools, a whirlpool and a sauna are also on site. With its Laconia location, you’re within a quick drive to Weirs Beach (HOBO Railroad) and family faves like Funspot and Gunstock Mountain & Ski Resort.
SheBuysTravel Tip: Looking to make the most of your summer budget while maximizing the fun? With a wide range of deals on local activities, dining, and experiences, Groupon helps you stretch your budget by offering discounted options near you.
During the summer, enjoy family games and activities like campfires and movies on the beach. One fun extra at this resort is that there are fireworks on wedding nights that all guests can view. They post a tentative schedule on their site so that you can see if fireworks are planned during your stay.
With 16 different room types across 3 buildings, there are definitely options! Rooms range from sleeping 2 up to sleeping 6. Adjoining rooms are available.
- Lake Building rooms are the best choice if lake views are super important. Add in a cool underground tunnel that links to the main building and your kids will be impressed.
- The West Building was the original Margate Motel. A renovation was completed in 2018, so these exterior door rooms have been updated. These rooms are very close to the beach area but do allow outdoor smoking so be aware if your kiddos are sensitive to smoke.
- The Inn Building is across the street with no lake views BUT it has the largest rooms and is next to the outdoor pool.
New Hampshire Family Resorts: Seacoast Region
588 Wentworth Rd
New Castle, NH 03854
This Marriott property is a great jumping off point for all of the family-fun the Seacoast region has to offer. You can venture out to Isle of Shoals, Strawbery Banke, Water Country, Seacoast Science Center and the Children’s Museum of New Hampshire. Located just seven minutes outside of Portsmouth on New Castle Island, this resort is located under an hour from Manchester and a little over an hour from Boston.
You can choose from standard hotel rooms or splurge on a suite. They even have bi-level turret suites! It’s your chance to be a princess and sleep in a castle. Views are varied including the marina, harbor, New Castle and even York, Maine.
Fun amenities include:
- An onsite spa
- Tennis courts and both indoor and outdoor pools
- Boat parking for guests arriving by sea
- The perfect sit-and-read front porch
Most Family-Friendly Resorts in the White Mountains
Nestled in Northern New England, the White Mountains are a popular year-round family vacation destination.
101 Mountain View Rd
Whitefield, NH 03598
If you’re looking for both a luxury getaway and a step back in time, this Whitefield, NH resort should be on your list. While this location is kid-friendly, my husband and I found that we enjoyed it more when we went as a couple. With stunning views of the White Mountains, this resort is a member of the Historic Hotels of America. The story of this “accidental inn” that was founded in 1865 is unique. Even though it has the appearance of an inn set up specifically to be a rich people’s playground from back in the day, their first guests were actually misguided travelers.
The original owners, the Dodges, welcomed some confused and off-schedule travelers into their farmhouse 156 years ago. They were located conveniently along the popular Montreal to Boston route. After rave reviews from their first “guests,” they quickly turned their home and land into a business, routinely building out the hotel more and more. Today the property is a full resort with numerous amenities for the whole family including:
- Mountain View Farm and Fiber Studio
- Hiking trails, mountain biking, disc golf, golf course (9 or 18 holes), axe throwing, tennis courts (4 clay courts with Presidential Mountain views) and both indoor and outdoor pools.
- Indoor fun includes a game room and movie theater.
- Winter fun including snowshoeing, snow tubing, sledding, ice skating and cross country skiing.
Accommodations include historic rooms, rooms with mountain views and suites. One thing to note here is that because this is a historic property there are some quirks. This is not a quiet hotel. You will hear random snippets of conversations from other rooms and people walking by. The walls are thin.
310 Mount Washington Hotel Rd
Bretton Woods, NH 03575
I must admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for Omni Resorts. In my mind they do a fantastic job of walking the line between family-friendly and great grown up getaway. The Omni Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire is a great example of this. Located under 9 miles from Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeastern United States, the views on this property are epic.
While the White Mountains of New Hampshire can seem pretty remote, this New Hampshire family resort’s location is central to everything. Located 160 miles from Boston and Logan Airport, the Omni Mount Washington Resort is 350 miles from New York City, 95 miles from Portland, Maine, 185 miles from Montréal and 240 miles from Hartford, Connecticut. It’s the perfect stopping point on a northeast US road trip.
We love these amenities at Omni Mount Washington Resort:
- 25,000 square foot spa with mountain views (you’ll get access to all of their amenities with the purchase of any service)
- Summer fun includes fly-fishing (lessons available), horseback riding, disc golf, cross-country mountain biking, hiking and a golf course
- Winter activities in the area include skiing, sleigh rides, tubing and snowshoeing
- Zipline canopy tours and scenic gondola rides are available year round!
- Traveling with kids? You’ll have access to favorites like Story Land, Santa’s Village and family-friendly hikes like the Basin
Accommodations at Omni Mount Washington Resort include hotel rooms that sleep 2 all the way up to a family parlor room that can sleep 6-7. As a big family mom, I love that some of their traditional 2-bed hotel rooms allow for 4-5 people. So many times we would be too big for a regular hotel room, so I always look for 5 person rooms!
Lincoln, New Hampshire Family Resort Area
The Lincoln, NH area has been a popular family destination for years. Lincoln encompasses attractions that the whole family can enjoy like Clark’s Trading Post, Flume Gorge, Whales Tale Waterpark and Franconia Notch State Park. It’s one of the larger towns in the area with a full grocery store, numerous restaurants, a movie theater, shopping and more hotels being built annually.
664 US Route 3
Lincoln, NH 03251
With a slightly retro feel, the Indian Head Resort provides lodging right in the heart of the White Mountains. Even if you don’t stay here, definitely swing by. During the spring, summer and fall, you can climb the observation tower for $1 and get 360 degree views of the surrounding area. Other things we love are:
- Lodging options include traditional guest rooms, bungalows, cottages and resort houses (the largest sleeps up to 12)
- Access to private Shadow Lake for fishing and pedal boats
- Thunderbird Lounge and Profile Dining Room serve food and have live entertainment
- Year-round indoor and outdoor swimming pools
22 S Mountain Dr
Lincoln, NH 0325
You’ll find traditional amenities offered by New Hampshire resorts at RiverWalk Resort at Loon Mountain like pools, hot tubs, outdoor movies, laundry and a game room. However, RiverWalk takes it a few steps further with some special add-ons that make them unique.
- Condo lodging choices ranging from studios to 3 bedroom penthouse suites sleeping up to 12.
- Visit Seven Birches Winery, their on-property winery. You can tour the facility and taste the wine in both the RiverWalk Tasting Room and Atrium Bar.
- Looking for mead, hard cider or seltzer featuring local produce? Visit Rhythm Studios.
- Book a day of serenity at the Solstice North Day Spa.
- One of their lagoon pools becomes an ice skating area in the winter!
- Shuttle available from the resort to Loon Mountain (9 miles away) during ski season
Bartlett, New Hampshire Family Resort Area
Not only is this area filled with family fun, it’s a destination in its own right. With both summer and winter activities, it is a year round New Hampshire family resort destination. Most New Hampshire kids hold a memory of racing down the Attitash Alpine Slide or using their water slides. Most of us went to Story Land at least once and have memories of being dragged along leaf-peeping by our parents.
In 2022, Attitash did not open summer attractions as they addressed upgrades and repairs. They will reopen for the ski season and you can already buy passes and lift tickets for the 2022-2023 season. One thing we love about Attitash is that they offer adaptive skiing and adaptive sports during the season, not just one day a week or month like other slopes.
If you’re looking to stay close to the amenities of Attitash Mountain Resort and surrounding attractions, you’ve got a few New Hampshire family resort choices.
784 US Route 302
Bartlett, NH 03812
- Guest rooms, suites and studios that can sleep large families
- Year round indoor pool, two seasonal outdoor pools, fitness center and jacuzzi
- Grills and picnic areas outside
- Ski in, ski out
- Free wifi and parking
104 Grand Summit Rd
Bartlett, NH 03812
- Ski in, ski out with ski rentals on site
- Outdoor heated pool that is open year round (!)
- Standard hotel rooms and suites with kitchens available that can sleep up to 10
- Non-smoking property
Located near Bartlett New Hampshire are multiple kid-friendly attractions like Story Land, Living Shores Aquarium, Crawford Notch State Park and Diana’s Baths.
1788 White Mountain Hwy
North Conway, NH 03860
When I think of family-friendly hotels in New Hampshire, the Hampton Inn & Suites in North Conway immediately jumps to mind. Most parents know that the indoor heated pool is a massive selling point for kids. What if I told you you could up your game and get affordable family suites and guest rooms at a hotel with a four-season indoor waterpark? With easy access to the White Mountain region and the Lakes region, there is something for everyone in the area. Or just book it as a staycation and enjoy time on the water slides in the heated pool!
Amenities we love at this location include:
- Free wifi, parking and breakfast
- Indoor heated pool complete with water slides and hot tub
- They are pet-friendly!
Great North Woods of New Hampshire
There is a common belief that NH’s most northern areas are the White Mountains and that simply isn’t true. If you’re looking for rugged wilderness and a vacation that really takes you away from it all, the Great North Woods is where you want to go. For families that want to hike, snowmobile, canoe, kayak and fish, this is where you can head.
Dummer, NH 03588
This rustic lodge at the gateway to the 13 Mile Woods has just 5 private guest rooms and is located on the Ride the Wilds trail system. You can arrange for ATV or snowmobile rentals to explore the trails. Primitive camping is also available. You’ll be close to Jericho Mountain State Park and Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge.
One fun note is that they offer rental of all rooms as a group along with event space, bartending and catering options. It’s a great spot for a multi-generational family gathering at reasonable prices.