Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Travel is just better with a cozy travel blanket. When you’re delayed, miss a flight or are trying to catch a snooze in a random airport you’ll be happy to have one. Ditto when the child who “never gets cold” suddenly is chilled to the bone on a road trip. We’re laying out everything you need to know when selecting a travel blanket. These are some of our favorite travel blankets that are easy to wash, will actually fit back in the bag and showcase your unique and fun personality.
Best Travel Blankets Worth the Higher Price Tag
Why be boring? Do you really want to have the same black fleece travel blanket that folds into a travel pillow that every other traveler has? This one is premium, but worth every penny! Some colors and patterns are cheaper. This sleeping bag type blanket is made from 100 percent recycled materials and comes in 20 colors/patterns. We love how high-quality this blanket feels.
- Rolls up like a sleeping bag
- Blanket measures 52 inches x75 inches
- Filled with warm insulation but is still odor- and water-resistant
- Comes with a stuff sack
- Blanket has loops on the corners so you can make it wearable with the addition of small carabiners, perfect for the grumpy teen in your life
Read More: Best Camping Chairs for Outdoor Adventures
The Hug Sleep, Sleep Pod (as seen on Shark Tank) isn’t a traditional travel blanket. You’re probably not going to whip this one out to wear on the plane. You sleep inside this pod for a restful night’s sleep, even when you’re in an unfamiliar bed. This option is perfect for travelers who normally sleep with a weighted blanket. Weighted blankets are impractical to travel with but this substitute provides compression that “hugs you back.”
- Machine washable
- Breathable and provides temperature regulation while it wicks moisture away from you.
- Perfect for partners or kids who kick in their sleep or try to starfish across the whole bed. They won’t be able to in this pod.
- If you’re already splurging on this blanket, get the one with the hood! It makes it so much better and can sub in for an eye mask.
Best Mid-Range Travel Blankets
This option is the MVP of multi-purpose. Not only is it a travel blanket, but it can also act as lumbar support, a travel pillow and a hand warmer. When zipped closed, it measures 11 inches x12 inches but unfurled it’s 60 inches x 43 inches. The carry strap and zippered case make it the perfect airplane blanket.
- Material is a soft micro plush fleece that will not pill
- Machine Washable
- Warm and cozy
- Routinely goes on sale in certain colors so check them all
This soft travel blanket packs into a travel pillow. It won’t shed and the micro plush is machine washable. We love the color choices and have found that this item often has an Amazon coupon available.
- Plush comfy fabric
- Has a hand luggage belt to slide over suitcase handles or use the clip to attach it to a bag
- Measures 60×43
- Versatile design lets you use it as a pillow when you don’t need a blanket
- Available in multipacks if everyone in your family wants one
If you’re familiar with the travel gear world at all, you’re likely to recognize the name Magellan. The company’s gear is quality and this travel blanket doesn’t disappoint. SAGEFINDS Luxe Travel Magellan’s blanket comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Compactly folds to 9x6x1.5 inches. Measures 60×45 open.
- Cotton/polyester combo unlike most blankets that are 100 percent polyester
- Great for travelers who are on long trips and may want to wash the blanket in a hotel room using sud packs.
- Comes with a separate carrying pouch that has a strap for luggage attachment and a loop for a carabiner.
- Truly lightweight and great for climates where you don’t want fleece.
If you’re looking for a blanket and travel pillow set, EverSnug is one that feels luxe and soft. This compact blanket comes in several different colors. It folds up small and you don’t even need to fit it in your luggage because the travel case slides over a suitcase handle.
- Plush material is perfect for cuddling up on a long flight or a layover.
- Hard to lose since you can slide it over your suitcase handle or use the carabiner clip to fasten it to a bag.
- 6 color choices
- Offered in 2 packs for a great price if you need a few for your family
- Able to be used as a pillow or blanket
Widely known by travelers, the Cocoon CoolMax Blanket is lightweight, versatile and machine washable on the gentle cycle. We’ve found this option to be shockingly warm and prefer it over fleece. It’s perfect for air travel and frigid planes.
- Packs into a drawstring carry-on bag
- Strap to put it over luggage handles
- Larger than most other travel blankets at 55×70
- Measures roughly 8×4 when rolled and put into the carry bag
- Available in a variety of vibrant colors that are hard to lose
Why do we love this one? Well, it has everything! This set includes a neck pillow, ear plugs, eye mask and carry bag that folds out into a premier class travel blanket.
- Memory foam neck pillow is adjustable
- Carry pouch has a pocket for earbuds and other small items
- Super soft polar fleece blanket
- Blanket measures 39×45
Read More: The Best Comfy Travel Pants for Long Flights
This compact travel blanket may cost a bit more but in our opinion it’s 100 percent worth it. Not only is it larger than most blankets at 67×48 but it packs smaller! The microfleece velour material is extremely breathable while still being machine washable. This option is versatile to most travel scenarios from road trips to long flights to camping. You won’t lose any space in your carry-on luggage with this compact blanket.
- Extremely portable, packing down to just 6″x 4″ (roughly the size and weight of an iPhone Max)
- Lightweight and breathable weighing in at just over 8 ounces
- Comes with a stuff sack
- Material is moisture-wicking, anti-static and durable
Best Low-Cost Travel Blankets
Does your family constantly misplace things? Do you want to grab a few blankets at a bargain price and not be upset when they go missing? These are the best options for travelers on a budget. They may not be as compact but they’re certainly more wallet-friendly.
With a winning price point, this $13 packable travel blanket is a great option. You’ll have your choice of multiple colors and patterns.
I do recommend steering clear of black and gray if you’ll be using rental cars. Somehow those colors always manage to blend into rental car trunks and get forgotten. (Ask me how I know this!)
- Microfleece, lightweight travel blanket folds up small
- Machine Washable
- Great for home use as well
There’s a lot to love about this option. First of all, it’s a wearable poncho-style blanket! Made out of lightweight plush micro-fleece it boasts a zippered pocket to store your phone/Airpods/etc in. We use this travel blanket for long road trips, flights and at home!
- Has a carrying case with a convenient loop to attach it to bags
- Machine Washable
- Static free fabric
Looking for a compact blanket that’s thin enough to keep in the car but still blocks cold air? This is the option for you. It’s plush and comfy, perfect to cuddle up with on road trips or flights. It comes in multiple patterns, offering the option to pick one that matches your aesthetic.
- Comes with its own stuff-sack-style carrying bag
- Machine washable
- Measures 60×40
- Doubles as a great option for sports events, viewing outdoor Christmas lights and picnics
- Unique patterns will make it easy to spot your blanket
If we’re getting technical, this one is really a towel and not a travel blanket. However, the XXL size measures 35 inches x 71 inches and is the perfect length and width for an airplane seat. I cannot overstate how handy this came in on international trips. It’s super absorbent. After an impromptu rafting trip, I was the only one with a towel and we managed to dry off 2 adults and 3 kids with it.
- Nice carrying case that zips shut and has a handle
- Soft microfiber that is durable
- Multiple color options
- Dual purpose- warm enough to be a blanket and you’ll always have a towel on hand
Best Travel Blankets for Kids
These comfy, machine washable blankets come in multiple styles for kids. What kid doesn’t want to be a unicorn, dinosaur, lion or elephant? These wearable blankets double as a plaything.
- Blanket is designed poncho-style
- 40”x50” perfect size for kids who are roughly 2-6 years old
- Accidents happen. This blanket is easy-on, easy-off and is machine washable.
- Wearable-style allows parents to easily pick up a sleeping child
This one should require no explanation but we’re going to dive in anyways. Have you ever dreamed of turning yourself into a giant soft taco? These super soft blankets come in multiple sizes (so that you can be a street taco, waffle, pie or a giant burrito). Their carry bag means they pack up easily for road trips and flights. The fun with these travel blankets doesn’t stop after the trip. You’ll find these bring joy at home as well making them worth the $20 price tag. We love that they:
- Come in multiple sizes
- Have several patterns available in case you’d rather be a waffle, cookie or pepperoni pizza
- Includes a travel carry bag
- Great for kids
- Lightweight and soft
A great travel blanket can make every trip more pleasant. Heading on a long flight? We’ve got other recommendations to make it more pleasant.