Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Looking to get in some bonding time with the ladies in your life? You don’t have to fly to a coast or even leave the Midwest. Plan a girls’ getaway in Missouri and everyone can meet in the middle! Missouri has something for every type of girls’ trip from relaxing spas in the country to art and dining experiences in the city. Add in its very own wine country and multiple airports to choose from and you’ve got the perfect start to that trip with the girls that you keep saying you’ll do!
The beauty of a Missouri girls’ weekend or weeklong trip is that pricing tends to be more affordable than meeting up in a state like New York or California. Missouri’s central location allows easy coordination with friends from both coasts. There is no lack of outdoor and indoor activities to fill a weekend getaway itinerary. Check out our list of the best girlfriend getaway spots in Missouri!
Girls’ Getaway to Lake of the Ozarks
Live that lake life with the girls. Lakeside fun is kicked up a notch at Lake of the Ozarks. It sounds unbelievable but the shoreline of the Lake of the Ozarks is actually longer than the shoreline of the entire state of California! This unsung destination is perfect for girlfriend getaways.
You can tailor your visit to fit your group by choosing a quieter area for heart-to-heart retreats and bonding or pick a spot closer to the Bagnell Dam Strip. This busier area caters to visitors with shops, dining experiences and bars.
Girls’ Weekend Lake of the Ozarks List
- Capture some dramatic pics. Visit Bridal Cave. This cave is a top spot for memorable pictures. The rock formations are dramatic and the cave stays at a constant 60 degrees. For a unique experience consider an evening lantern tour designed for adults.
- Wander through castle ruins. Put Ha Ha Tonka State Park on your list. You might be surprised to find castles in Missouri, but these ruins are a top destination. Built originally in the early 1900s before serving as a summer home and a hotel, only stone skeletons of the buildings remain after a fire. You can also picnic and hike here.
- Sample wines with a view. Located lakeside, the Winery at Shawnee Bluff is convenient to the main strip. With indoor seating, a patio, live music, daily wine tastings and even lakefront accommodations, it’s the perfect spot to stop at (or stay at) for your girls’ trip in Missouri.
- Shop till you drop. With antique shops, flea markets and unique boutiques, you’re sure to find treasures to take home from your travels. Half the fun is the hunt, right?
Where to Stay in Lake of the Ozarks
- Choose a 5 star experience. Looking for the ultimate weekend of pampering, facials and relaxation for your girlfriend getaway in Missouri? Book a villa at the Lodge at Old Kinderhook. You won’t even have to leave the resort. Dining, drinks, tennis, golf, boating, ice skating in the winter and a spa will keep all of your friends busy.
- Looking for more action? If the memories you want to make involve waverunners, island cruises, biking and margaritas, you may want to check out Margaritaville Lake Resort and its neighbor Tan-Tar-A Estates in Osage Beach. Margaritaville has a waterpark and both resorts are popular with families, so if you’re looking to steer clear of kiddos on your weekend away, these might not be the right choices.
Girls’ Weekend Getaway to Kansas City
Kansas City is worth so much more than a day trip. Offering a diverse and unique range of activities, it’s perfect for foodies, adrenaline chasers and shoppers. No matter who is coming on your girls’ weekend, you can find the right activity (and boutique hotel) to keep your group engaged.
Kansas City Must-Dos for Foodies Who Love Art
- Experience and create art. Visit the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum. Their Art Deco exhibit is a great starting point. If you’re a crafty bunch you can even pick dates that Adult Studio classes are being offered. Try your hand at woodblock printing or painting as a group.
- Take in a historical building AND experience fine dining. Kill two birds with one stone by making reservations at Pierpont’s at Union Station. We’re huge fans of the bar with the library ladder. The dining room’s deep booths are perfect for drinks and gossip on your girls’ weekend. Dinner features steaks and other classics done well. Their brunch menu features mouth-watering cinnamon roll coffee cake. Make sure to plan extra time to explore Union Station before or after your meal.
- Sleep where art lives. Stay at 21c Museum Hotel. This dog-friendly, art-focused hotel is dripping in photo opportunities and well-located within Kansas City between the Power & Lights district and River Market District. Even if you don’t end up sleeping here, stop by for a free art tour that’s offered daily.
- Manifest money. Have you heard of centering your energies and manifesting what you want in life? Head to the Money Museum in Kansas City and see if you and your girlfriends can manifest your way to a “Golden Girls” retirement where you can all hang out daily! This educational experience through the Federal Reserve will teach you need to know about the Benjamins (and gold bars).
- Visit the gardens. Get back to nature at Kauffman Memorial Garden. Filled with both flowers and statues, it’s a great spot to slow down, take a walk, grab some selfies and just catch up with your friends. Admission is free and it’s open year-round.
Action-Packed Kansas City Things to Do
- If you’re a competitive group, do the Scavenger Hunt. You’ll learn a ton and get to work together to win the hunt!
Branson: Not Just for Family Fun
Branson is commonly brought up as a family destination, but it can also be a great choice for a girlfriend getaway in Missouri. On its western border, Branson meets up with the Table Rock Lake area which features stunning Ozark Mountain views, high-end resorts, beaches and cute camping spots and cabins.
In Branson proper there is no lack of things to do. A weekend won’t be enough to do it all but you’ll have fun trying! We’ve rounded up some of our favorites for a Branson girls’ weekend itinerary.
SheBuysTravel Tip: Looking to make the most of your travel budget while maximizing the fun? With a wide range of deals on local activities, dining, and experiences, Groupon helps you stretch your budget by offering discounted options near you.
Things to Do in Branson on a Girls’ Weekend
- Relive the Titanic, minus the sinking part. If you’ve dreamed of walking down the grand staircase, head to the Titanic Museum to experience a $1 million replica. You’ll be assigned a passenger and find out your fate as you experience the lifeboat, cabins and more. You’ll need a ticket for this experience, so be sure to book in advance!
- Head out on a dinner cruise. Aboard the Branson Belle, you and your girlfriends will dine on a three-course dinner, take in a show and see the sights of Table Rock Lake. For one price, you get a meal and entertainment!
- Experience a show! Yes, there are many entertaining dinner shows in Branson. From throwback rock to acrobatic circus acts to ‘70s extravaganzas you’ll be singing and cheering along. Weekend shows tend to be busier so book in advance.
- Looking for a slower pace for your girls’ getaway? Check out Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgedale. The mix of rustic charm and convenience is perfect for bonding with friends. Experience sunset at Top of the Rock; book the fine dining experience to make it extra special. You’ll definitely want to check out the Grotto Pool and Ice Room at Big Cedar Lodge’s Cedar Creek spa as well! While you’re at the resort check out Fun Mountain. There’s a chance you’ll be booking a return trip with the kids!
- Ride a trolley. Head into Branson’s historic downtown to shop and dine. Don’t forget to catch a ride on their free trolley, Sparky. We love stopping to snap pictures with the colorful murals.
Wine Country Girls’ Trips in Missouri: Wineries to Hit
Did you know that Missouri has a wine country? In fact, there are seven distinct wine growing regions in Missouri. Some of these small towns are overlooked when planning the perfect Midwest girlfriend getaway in Missouri.
Don’t overlook the charm of strolling Main Street and having intimate, unique dining experiences. Here are a few of our favorite unsung spots that are perfect for a Missouri girlfriend getaway that includes wineries.
Located just 1.5 hours outside of St. Louis, Hermann is a cute German wine town that is perfect for either a weekend road trip or quick day trip. With shopping, dining and, of course, wine tasting, you’ll have plenty to do here.
- Take a step back in time. Visit Adam Puchta Winery, the oldest continuous family farm winery in the US. Now on their 7th generation, you definitely want to check their social media for special events before your visit. If you’re lucky, their eatery, the 1855 Cellar Bistro, will be open. It’s located in their original wine cellar. Wine tastings here cost $6 for 6 tastings.
- Taste the wines of a winner. Sip and savor at award-winning Stone Hill Winery. This spot has been famous in the wine world since the late 1800s. Between 1873 and 1915 they won honors at the Worlds Expo 8 times! And they haven’t stopped winning, continuing to rack up titles like Winegrowers of the Year, Winemaker of the Year and more. Take a wine tour, go through a tasting of 6 wines ($12 includes glass) or just plan a meal at the Vintage 1847 Restaurant.
- Get outdoors. With its location on the Missouri River, Hermann is the perfect destination for kayaking and paddleboarding.
- Enjoy shopping and art. Plan to antique shop in the area and explore the cute boutiques. Also, don’t forget to time your visit to enjoy the First Friday Art Walks.
Where to Stay in Hermann
- Enjoy local boutique hotels and B&Bs. For a small girls’ trip, stay at Hermann Hill Bed and Breakfast, just over a mile from the downtown area. With your hilltop vantage point you can take in views of the vineyard from your balcony. Their two-bedroom suites are perfect for a few friends on a weekend getaway.
- Explore one-of-a-kind lodging. Celebrate leaving the kids by sleeping in treehouses! The Cottage Treehouses in Hermann are perfect for friends looking for a scenic stay where they can spend the evening chatting around a fire. Part of the Inn at Hermanhoff, they are truly special.
City Fun in St. Louis
St. Louis is such an underrated girls’ trip destination. Its location on the border of Illinois and within easy reach of southern Indiana makes it central to several Midwestern states. The culinary scene in St. Louis rivals larger cities and it’s a great spot to start or end a longer trip. Public transportation is also available. You can land at St. Louis Lambert International Airport and take the MetroLink lightrail directly to downtown.
Where to Stay for a St. Louis Girls’ Trip
There are tons of hotels to choose from for your girls’ trip. We know how hard it can be to make the decision, so we’ve got a few of our favorites for you.
- Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch has a fantastic location next to the famous Gateway Arch in the heart of the city. Rooms are standard hotel-size with one or two beds. We recommend this for smaller groups of friends, groups that want their own rooms or ladies looking for a landing spot to sleep that’s walkable to everything.
- Located a little further out in Midtown is Angad Arts Hotel. This spot is less walkable but has private parking. Art is everywhere, vivid colors are featured and they have 2-bedroom suites available. You can head over to Jazz St. Louis in the evening, take a picture with the Karate Bunny sculpture or just take a bath in the in-room freestanding soaking tub.
- For a spot as special as your friendships, book the Moonrise Hotel. Not only is it near the Metrolink and centrally located, but it features a rooftop bar where you can catch up with old friends while taking in the views of a new city. You can easily head out to the St. Louis Art Museum, the Zoo and all the other attractions of Forest Park from here.
Things to Do on a St. Louis Girls’ Trip
You will not run out of things to do in St. Louis. From fun free things to historic attractions to the Arch, itself there is plenty to keep you busy. Here are some of our favorites for friends visiting St. Louis, Missouri.
- Trolley tour it. It may sound a little cheesy, but we love the trolley tour. Spending 75 minutes seeing the city sights is a great way to start your trip and decide where you feel inspired to spend the rest of your time.
- Find your best angle. Don’t sleep on the best way to commemorate your girls’ trip! Did you know you can book a photoshoot right near the St. Louis Arch? Strike a pose, get some photos that you didn’t have to beg someone to take and frame those memories! And of course, check out the Arch after.
- Hit the Zoo. It may seem like a strange choice for a kid-free trip but the Saint Louis Zoo has rave reviews and is well-known for their programs. Amazingly enough it is also free of charge! With no entrance fee splurge on a behind-the-scenes special tour for a unique experience.
- Head to the coolest museum and slide down their slide. Yes, we said what we said. Don’t mistake the City Museum for a kids’ museum. This artist-built space has tons to explore including a 10-story slide! They have adult-only events if you’re trying to keep up the kid-free vacation theme.
When it’s Time to Eat in St. Louis
- Brunch with the girls. St. Louis has some amazing brunch options – so many in fact that it can be hard to choose! Whether you head to brunch at Cinder House at the Four Seasons for Latin-inspired deliciousness, Vin de Set for the views and the bottomless mimosas or grab classic diner food from Courtesy Diner, you can’t go wrong.
- Grab a special meal. Head to the Union Station Hotel to dine at the Station Grille. Be sure to plan your timing carefully. There is a daily light show on the ceiling of the Grand Hall’s Lobby that you can catch before or after your meal.
Missouri Girls Trip: What Are You Waiting For?
From cities to small towns Missouri has it all. What spot would you pick for your girlfriend getaway to Missouri?