Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Fiji is a South Pacific archipelago with 333 beautiful islands to explore, many of which offer bucket-list-worthy hotel experiences with plunge pools, fire shows and oceanside massages.
With so many resorts boasting breathtaking views and swimmable coral reefs, you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to island accommodations. Here are a few of the best resorts in Fiji.
Arriving at Viti Levu, Fiji
After a long-haul flight to Fiji’s main island of Viti Levu, you might enjoy spending a night or two near the airport before continuing on to other islands. This is especially true if you’ll be headed to a smaller island by boat and are nervous about missing your transfer from the airport.
Denarau Island is a gated community of waterfront luxury resorts located 20 minutes from Nadi International Airport that’s perfect for easing into your Fiji vacation. It’s easily accessible by taxi or hired car (make sure you have cash for a taxi — you can exchange money at the airport).
Once you’re rested and feeling adventurous, the community’s marina, Port Denarau, has boats that can take you to Fiji’s popular Mamanuca Islands and Yasawa Islands. It’s easy to get to the marina from your Denarau Island hotel for boat tours, day trips, small ship cruises and transfers to other island resorts.
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island is a 5-star hotel that has oceanfront suites with kitchens, washers, dryers and optional neighbor suites if you want extra space. It’s great for families, with four pools, a small beach and free evening entertainment.
Children can make friends at the kids club, enjoying daytime activities and themed nights for a fee. Adults have a kid-free pool in a quiet section of the resort and can indulge in a massage at the dreamy outdoor spa.
Radisson Blu at a glance
- 10 acres of tropical gardens, leading past a waterfall and pools to the ocean.
- Family-friendly with daily activities from basket weaving to sand castle competitions.
- Complimentary evening activities like a traditional meke dance show and a fire show.
- For a small fee, Blu Banana kids club invites kids to dress in traditional Fijian attire and help light the torches around the property at night.
- Specialty restaurants with world flavors that include Lebanese, Italian, Thai cuisine and an intimate adults-only Japanese dining experience at Teppanyaki.
Other Hotel Options on Denarau Island
- Sofitel Fiji Resort and Spa: This 5-star hotel on Nadi Bay has a kids club, teen zone and the “largest pool in the South Pacific.”
- Sheraton Fiji Golf & Beach Resort: Another 5-star beachfront property, this Sheraton resort has a spa and access to water sports such as jet ski safaris and banana boat rides.
- Sheraton Denarau Villas: Swim in the infinity pool or tee off at the 18-hole golf course at Denarau Golf & Racquet Club.
2. InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa on Viti Levu
If you don’t mind a longer trek from the airport, you can also stay at the place the Travel Channel dubs the nicest white-sand beach in Fiji. Just under an hour away from the airport, InterContinental Fiji is located on Natadola Beach by the turquoise waters of the reef-protected Natadola Bay. This 5-star resort has a spa, golf course and traditional entertainment with Polynesian fire dancing.
InterContinental Fiji at a glance
- Accessible from the Nadi International Airport by land — no boat transfer necessary.
- Packages with airport shuttle included are available.
- Three outdoor pools, including an adults-only infinity pool.
- Planet Trekkers kids club for ages 4 to 12.
- Extra adventures include shark diving, Sigatoka River Safari and visiting an authentic Fijian village.
For a relaxing getaway in the Mamanuca Islands, Tokoriki Island is a beautiful place to unwind. There are two resorts here: Sheraton Resort & Spa Tokoriki Island and the adults-only Tokoriki Island Resort. I stayed at the Sheraton, which is great for families.
Snorkel over coral reefs, visit the nearby island where the movie Cast Away was filmed, experience Fijian music and dancing and indulge in a warm sea shell massage.
You’ll need to take a boat, ferry or helicopter to get to the island, so allow extra time for arriving. I took the air-conditioned ferry from Port Denarau there and a more expensive speed boat back. I preferred the slower ferry.
Sheraton Tokoriki Island at a glance
- Some rooms have plunge pools and ocean views.
- Free onsite kids club with morning and afternoon sessions.
- Free daily activities include lei making to Fijian cooking lessons.
- A beachfront bure (Fijian for house) offers paid activities like a boat ride to enjoy a picnic on Tom Hanks’ Cast Away Island Beach. You can also rent snorkels, kayaks and stand-up paddleboards.
- After a ferry ride from Port Denarau, prepare for a wet landing when you reach the beach. Take off your shoes and enjoy the staff’s welcome song and shell necklace gift.
If you’ve been dreaming of an Instagram-worthy overwater bungalow vacation, the more exclusive Likuliku Lagoon Resort in the Mamanuca island group might be just the ticket.
Likuliku Lagoon Resort at a glance
- Adults-only Malolo Island resort, located west of Denarau Island.
- 10 overwater bures, 17 beachfront bures with outdoor showers and 18 deluxe beachfront bures with personal plunge pools.
- Tatadra Spa uses indigenous techniques for body treatments and healing stone massage.
- Get here from Nadi International Airport or Port Denarau by catamaran, speedboat, water taxi, seaplane or helicopter.
VOMO is a 5-star resort on a 255-acre privately owned island between the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands. As the only resort on the island, VOMO is yours to explore.
VOMO at a glance
- Kids Village, free for kids aged 4 and up, is open 12 hours a day with activities and a dedicated chef.
- Baby Butlers are available to provide dedicated care for up to two kids aged three and under for four hours per day, and additional hours can be purchased.
- VOMO can be reached by ferry, speedboat or helicopter for an additional cost. Ferry is the most affordable transportation — the journey takes about 75 minutes from Port Denarau.
It will take you longer to get to Yasawa Island from Fiji’s main island of Viti Levu, but your reward will be a more remote resort with 10 private beaches.
Yasawa Island at a glance
- 18 luxury, traditionally thatched beachfront bures.
- All-inclusive of meals and snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, wiﬁ, kayaks, standup paddle boards, catamaran and scheduled activities like village visits, cave excursions and guided snorkeling trips.
- Children are welcome on specific dates only.
This island resort is located on Fiji’s northern island of Vanua Levu. If you fly into Savusavu Airport, a one-hour flight from Nadi, your stay at Namale Resort & Spa includes ground transportation to and from the resort.
Namale at a glance
- Intimate all-inclusive resort with 22 private, luxury bures and beachfront villas.
- Hike through a rainforest to a hidden waterfall or go scuba diving in the Koro Sea.
- Complimentary activities include tidepool and reef walks, snorkeling and kayaking, Kava ceremonies, village choir performances and a traditional meke show.
Another all-inclusive on the island of Vanua Levu, Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort is a 5-star luxury eco-resort.
Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort at a glance
- Includes complimentary 20-minute transfers from Savusavu Airport.
- Has a dive center, a free kids club and complimentary activities like standup paddle boarding.
- Spa offers wellness treatments like Botanical Fusion hand or foot therapy.
Laucala Island, east of Vanua Levu, is home to COMO Laucala Island, a 5-star private island resort.
COMO at a glance
- Go horseback riding, take a farm tour, visit a national park by boat, go scuba diving or play a round of golf — the activities menu is extensive.
- This resort offers the height of luxury with only 25 high-end residences, each with a private pool.
- Private charters can land here, or you can take a 55-minute connecting flight from Nadi on one of the resort’s planes.
A private island adults-only resort, Matangi Island is billed as the ultimate romantic getaway. It’s located near COMO, east of Vanua Levu.
Matangi Island at a glance
- 12 luxury bures — including three treehouse bures — on a 240-acre privately owned horseshoe-shaped island.
- Ocean spa has an overwater deck for relaxation.
- Car and boat transfers are available for an additional fee.
The Bottom Line
Fiji has no shortage of luxury island experiences with white sand beaches, coral reefs and crystal clear water. But the more remote the island, the more you may have to pay to get there, and back.
When choosing where to stay in Fiji, consider the cost of transport by boat or air from the main island of Viti Levu (and how much extra travel time you’ll need). You’ll also want to look at what is included in the cost of your accommodations because the definition of “all-inclusive” can vary by resort and by package.